UKAS Testing Methods
Our UKAS Testing Laboratory has a broad range of tests available for your metals
Our UKAS accredited testing laboratory offers a wide range of tests which are available for our customers – we also provide third party inspection services too.
Our range of extensive material testing services includes:
- 30 Tonne Tensile Tester (ASTM E8 & A370, BS EN ISO 6892-1 & BES EN 2002-1)
- Elevated Temperature Tensile Testing facilities to 200°C (ASTM E21 & BS EN ISO 6892-2)
Charpy Impact Testing:
- 300J Impact Tester (ASTM E23 & A370)
- Cryogenic Cooling down to minus 60°C
Spectro Maxx Spark Emission Spectrometer for analysing:
- Iron Base
- Copper Base
- Nickel Base
- Aluminium Base
- Titanium Base Materials
Chemical analysis is carried out in accordance with:
BS EN 14726, ASTM E1086, ASTM E415, ASTM A751, ASTM E1251 & BS EN 15079.
Metallurgical Analysis and Corrosion Testing:
Metallurgical Microscopes, sample preparation equipment and associated equipment to allow:
- Metallurgical Evaluation to ASTM A923 Method A
- Phase Balance Analysis to ASTM E582
- Corrosion Testing to ASTM G48 + A923 Method C
- Grain Size Analysis to ASTM E112
Weldment Assessment Testing
Welder qualification testing and weld procedure qualification teting can be carried out:
BS EN ISO 9606-1, BS EN ISO 15614-1, BS EN ISO 17639, BS EN ISO 9015-1 & BS EN ISO 6520-1.
- Vickers (HV10 & HV30) and Rockwell C Hardness Testing
Physical Properties Testing:
- Hocking Electrical Conductivity Testing
- Fischer Ferrite Testing
- * GAMMA-SCOUT Radiation Detector (Geiger Counter)
* Services / Investigations:
* Not UKAS Accredited
- Testing routines on materials prior to despatch to provide customers with additional quality assurance beyond that required by standard ISO 9001 quality systems
- Positive Material Identification (PMI) or a more complicated chemical analysis and mechanical testing programme to provide complete conformance to specification testing
- Material batch testing witnessed by an outside inspection Agency such as Lloyds Register of Shipping to ensure material traceability and integrity
- Investigations into materials failing to perform as expected during machining, welding or anodising. Solutions can often be found very quickly without having to rely on the technical expertise provided by the material manufacturer
- Advice on material/alloy selection, obsolete and unusual specifications and support for customers when drafting their own material specifications
Find Out more...
To find out more about Smiths Metal Centres Laboratory & Technical Services, and explore how we can help your business, please click on one of the links on the side menu of this web page.